A place for me to post things that I think about.
A place to post the changes that have occurred on this little island since I first arrived almost two decades ago.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Arrival Part Three

The lights...All the pretty lights. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat driving south in the back of a taxi cab at 10:30 at night through a city that is sparkling with neon. Then  I remember a story from a friend back home about a taxi ride from Narita airport to downtown Tokyo...He said the fair was $500. My eyes flash from the neon lights outside to the red lights of the taxi meter. 4,000 yen so far. "OK" I think. I have enough cash to pay that but how much will it cost to get me to Daikokucho? The conversation with the taxi driver went something like this:

Me: "Daikokucho"
Driver: "Daikokucho!"
Me:"Money."
Driver:"Money?"
Me:"How much money?"
Driver:"How.....英語わからへん!”
Me:"Moooney?"*shrug**point at meter*

At this point the driver got it. He gave me some reply that I couldn't understand. I gave him my best, over-exaggerated shrug and he tried again. "seven hundred eight hundred." I rechecked with "seven thousand?" and he confirmed it with "seven zero, zero, zero."

Alright. I could now relax. The trip would be about $100 but I could handle that. I sat back and enjoyed the neon light show as the city zipped by.

After another 20 minutes or so the driver pulled over and said "Daikokucho". I paid him with a 10,000 yen bill and he gave me the exact change. I remembered that I didn't have to tip him but felt a little guilty.

Before attempting to take the subway I thought I'd call the dormitory and get further instructions from my Aussie guide.

I found a phone and called the number again. Thankfully the Aussie answered. I told him I was at Daikokucho. He told me to get on the blue train and head towards "Suminoekoen", two stops.

I hung up the phone, took a T-shirt out of my bag (to mop up the sweat from my face) and headed down the stairs to the trains.