A place for me to post things that I think about.
A place to post the changes that have occurred on this little island since I first arrived almost two decades ago.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sock Touch

I am, like the majority of English speaking gaijin community, an ESL teacher. The other day I noticed one of my students using this product. I had heard of it before but had never actually see it or seen it in use. When I've tried to explain it to family and friends at home I get confused looks and comments of disbelief in return. Well now I have photographic proof that this product exists.

Sock Touch....Keep your style. What is it? Glue. But a special kind of glue for girls. Usually junior or senior high school aged girls. This glue is applied to your legs like you would use a glue stick on paper. The glue then holds your socks in place. I guess sagging socks is a problem for girls. I didn't examine the product closely enough to see if there was any difference between it and a regular glue stick. I would assume however that Sock Touch is special enough to distinguish itself from a regular glue stick. Anyone that is unfamiliar with Japanese pop-culture is amazed that girls do this but what amazes me is the fact that gluing of socks to your calves is so common that it requires a specialized product just for that purpose. What would happen if I used Sock Touch for a craft project?