A place for me to post things that I think about.
A place to post the changes that have occurred on this little island since I first arrived almost two decades ago.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pepsi and Darth Vadar Energy Cola

Darth! Give me power!.... The power to get through the monotonous, boring day.

I just finished my hour and a half commute from the burbs to work. I followed my daily routine and popped into a convenient store to snag a drink and something for breakfast (I leave the house at 6:30 so no time for food).

Usually I get a Red Bull or the fairly new to Japan "Monster". Monster energy drinks are bigger and therefore keep me motivated longer. The news recently reported that some kid died from drinking Monster so even though I wasn't planning on chugging 3 cans it was in the back of my head to find a different source of caffeine.

Then I saw it! Pepsi Energy Cola with Darth's silhouette on the can. I'm a big Star Wars fan and I think I'm even a bigger fan of new gimmicks. So this was like a dream.

As I've mentioned before Pepsi occasionally introduces a new flavor for a limited time (vanilla, shisou, watermelon etc.) but this is the first time I saw a Pepsi with the catch phrase "Give yourself to the Dark Side".

The contents of the 250ml can weren't as exciting as the can itself. It tasted like cola with a flowery after taste. It was different from a regular Coke or Pepsi but cola all the same. I guess it's not the cola that's inside the can but the magic that's inside the cola that counts. Some of the special stuff includes dashes of royal jelly, hints of argenine, asian ginseng, a pinch of guarana extract and of course the staple of every energy drink...caffeine.

All of these things are supposed to make your work day not suck. And they did work for a little while. Then the caffeine high wore off (or maybe it was the high from finding a cool can), but I lost power. I could feel the grey cloud forming over my head. I was giving myself to the Dark Side.